The Original EMS Village User Name Forums

These are original User Name forums.
If you are looking for the Real Name forums, click here.

Navigation:

FORUMS > THE STUDENT CENTER [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Allergy to black fly bites?
Created On Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:45 PM

Epicult
Junior Forum Member

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:45 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Has anyone ever come across this? This past week my girl and I set out for a 5 day backcountry canoe trip that turned into a mere 2 hour trip due to the insane number of mozzies and black flies. Turns out I ended up in the ER with a swollen face (152 bites from the neck up... hahaha... I gotta laugh!) and then of course the lower body. Bug spray? Yeah right!

Anyway, my girlfriend now seems to have a nasty delayed reaction (by 3 days) with localized inflammation (1.5 x 1 inch patches) and tiny blisters in the bite areas (ear, head and stomach). Looks similar to a rash. Her posterior neck, axillary, inguinal nodes are also swollen (especially the axillary and behind the ears). No fever, still itching, vitals normal.

Any clues? Benedril and see if that improves the localized inflammation?

Now, over to the pros :-)

Cheers!

-------------------------
A-EMCA, PCP
Ontario, Canada

Bottom

TRAININGATOEMS
Veteran Villager

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:47 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

She's got an infection from the bites. She needs to be seen by a physician as soon as possible.

Just my opinion, but that's what the S&S sound like to me.

Peace,
RG

Bottom

ncmedic309
Veteran Villager

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:58 PM

I agree, you need to get on top of that before it gets worse. I wouldn't wait for an appointment, hit an urgent care or ER as soon as you can.

Bottom

ESPARKS
Veteran Villager

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:16 PM

Epicult : exactly what training said. Black flies are nasty little buggers, when they bite they chew on you and release a anticoagulant in their saliva to keep your blood flowing. the hallmark of their bites are a hard crusty center with redness & swelling in a 1-2 inch circular pattern. often times these bites will end up developing a bacterial infection which would explain the swollen lymph nodes. suggest to her that she should see her doctor.
My wife & i were up in the Bangor area wednesday doing a little field trials training with our Labs. she has four bites on her lower legs and one on her forehead @ the hatline. the bites on her legs are similar to what you describe your GF having. i was much luckier. only one of the little buggers managed to get through my coat of armor & bug dopes. somehow it got under my hat and chewed it's way across the back of my skull, leaving a golf-ball size lump. There is no known bug dope that will completely defeat black flies.
Try this weblink for just about anything you ever wanted to know about the black fly. http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html

Hope this helps. Ed

Take care and play safe out there !!!

The dean of common sense

Bottom

VanHelsing
Veteran Villager

Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:18 AM

touch wood, we dont have these little critters over here.... But they sound a damn nuisance... I though Egypy had it bad with them locusts....

Bottom

Eydawn
Senior Forum Member

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:03 AM

Have to agree with the above; sounds like it might be allergy, more likely may be infection. And benadryl does zip for infections. I really would go to an urgent care center; don't mess around with this stuff!! If it's an allergic reaction this bad, it could progress quite quickly to something really nasty. Same logic goes if it's an infection; if it's this bad looking, where will it be in 2 hours? 6 hours? 2 days?

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Wendy
NREMT-B
CO EMT-B
MI EMT-B

There's a fine line between genius and insanity- Guess which side I'm on! (My father)

Bottom

grambograham
Senior Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:57 AM

I agree with all above. She should be seen and treated for the infection before it becomes septic. Fever may not have occurred yet as it ma not be systemic yet. If she waits, the fever may come.

If you can keep your head while all else around you are losing theirs'............................... You probably haven't checked with your answering service!

Bottom

Epicult
Junior Forum Member

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:16 AM

Outcome... "take two benedril and call me in the morning". :-) Pretty nasty stuff but after a week or so, things seem to have cleared up.

Thanks to all who replied, it's appreciated.

Cheers!

A-EMCA, PCP
Ontario, Canada

Bottom

FORUMS > THE STUDENT CENTER [ REFRESH ]

FuseTalk 3.1 - Copyright � 1999-2002 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.